No senior policeman was present at Liaquat Bagh – Azaz Syed

Source Dawn:
ISLAMABAD, May 1: Tampered telecommunication record has been presented before the Joint Investigation Team and the three-member committee inquiring into the assassination of Benazir Bhutto, reliable sources told DawnNews on Saturday.

A decision has been taken to conduct forensic examination of the telecommunication to remove the ambiguities.

According to sources in the interior ministry, an hour before Benazir Bhutto’s assassination, Saud Aziz, the then Rawalpindi police chief, directed ASP Ishfaq, who was responsible for providing box security to Ms Bhutto, to reach Koral Chowk where workers of PML-N had been targeted earlier in the day on Dec 27, 2007.

The disclosure that Ashfaq was sent to Islamabad almost an hour ago by Saud Aziz, has been made for the first time only after initial examination of the telecommunication log book which contains all details about the commands aired on the wireless phones of the police.

The order by Saud Aziz left Ms Bhutto devoid of any high-ranking police officer who would oversee her security. Interestingly, the area where Saud Aziz deputed Ashfaq Ahmed did not come under the jurisdiction of Rawalpindi police. Instead, it was within the remit of the capital police.

This communication between the two officers took place on cellular phones but later it was described to have taken place on police wireless, according to police records believed to have been tampered.

“Why would I temper the record of telecommunication? I did not do any tempering and why I would have done since I am not speaking any lie or hiding anything,” said ASP Ashfaq Ahmed when contacted by Dawn.

He said that log book is containing both the commands including the mobile phone command and the wireless command of the then CPO Saud Aziz.

The three-member inquiry had been instituted on the directives of Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani. But sources tell Dawn News that an internal army inquiry had already taken place and the three-member committee was meant to give a clean chit to the army officers, especially Maj Gen Nadeem Ejaz.

No telephone record of Gen Ejaz Nadeem have been found. He was using a U Fone number (complete number is being witheld 55420**).

Further, there is discrepancy in Saud Aziz’s statement regarding the timing of registration of the FIR. Police records show registration of the FIR at 8:20 pm on 27th of Dec,07 while it was actually registered the next day.

Abdur Rauf Chaudhry, who heads the committee, is known as an officer with a weak spine who is nonetheless effective in paper pushing.

President Asif Ali Zardari has already expressed his dissatisfaction over the formation and working of the committee, according to PPP sources. Ends



Latest Comments
  1. Aamir Mughal
  2. Aamir Mughal
  3. Aamir Mughal